Subject: NT, Low RAM and 16bit Apps: Tip
From: Darren Metcalfe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 95 10:38:32 -0700
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.lightwave

Second try at this, man I hate it when someone runs into a powerline and 
plunges the neighborhood into darkness. Nerve-wracking experience trying 
to get 3 expensive computers turned off before the power flashes back 
on...

I'm down to one 16bit app in my daily routine, Eudora. Firstly, anyone 
know of a 32bit mail client? No? Then I'll continue...

Thanks to Craig Kulesa for this info.

You can save +4MB of Physical RAM at boot if you disable the WOWExec 
(16bit Windows Subsystem). Load Regedt32, go to the Local Machine Section, 
go to Software-Microsoft-WindowsNT-CurrentVersion-Winlogon. Find the line 
Userinit: delete the references to wowexec and win.com.

On next login, when PM comes up, disk activity stops, and you now have 4MB 
more free RAM. If you use a 16bit app, the WOWexec will automatically 
load. To get rid of it in a system friendly way, get littles.zip from 
winftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/nt/. Use "ps" to find the program ID 
of WOWexec and "kill" to get rid of it. Works instantly and frees (at 
least most of) the 4MB again.

Hope that helps some folks...

-- 
Darren Metcalfe
[email-masked]

--
Darren Metcalfe <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]